Friday, September 24, 2010

I hope these shoes are waterproof.

I hate people who drink milk out of the bottle. I can't stand it. They're the type people who go through the '12 items or less' checkout with 18 things, or the people who always seem to text you when you're right in that moment before you fall asleep and scare the shit out of you. Well, dear people, today I have become one of you.  That's right. I drank from the carton. I've done it before, when I was little, but it was always a sneaky, half a second gulp before I put it away. Today I opened the fridge, grabbed the milk, had a few sips and put it right back. I didn't even use it for anything, just drank it. As soon as I did it I felt myself morph into one of them. *Dark, ominous sounding music* Those leave-20-tops-on-the-fitting-room-floor, not-covering-the-food-when-it-goes-in-the-microwave people. And it felt good. It's sad to say that drinking milk from the bottle counts as one of the baddest things I do on your average day. And it was soy milk, so it's not like anyone else is going to drink it anyway. I have decided however, that I have had such a good karma, pay it forward, smile with your heart day that I am entitled to at least a little horrible slob behaviour.

This morning I got up at 6:30. Which is pretty frecking early when you're currently me. Which doesn't really make sense because you're not me, and most likely will never be, but if you're anything like the current me then you get the picture. Oh my god that's so not even relevant to the story, I'm lost. Okay. ANYWAY, I'm kind of glad that my alarm went off at that particular time, because it conveniently interrupted an insanely vivid dream in which I was being chased by a family of snakes. Not kidding, a whole family. Probably something to do with the fact that I was thinking about the next Harry Potter movie, for which I had seen the trailer the night before (Super excited about it, btw.) which, obviously, contains snakes. Well, one snake. But yeah. So the reason I was up so early was so that I could go to help out one of mum's friends in this cafe she owns. She is super sweet, and is short staffed at the moment, so I offered to give her a hand before I went to my body balance class. I spent the morning chopping veggies and peeling avocados, as well as labeling all sorts of amazing foods. Kind of harsh to have to write it all out and not get to eat any of it :( Ah, and so goes the pain of my terrible life. Haha. I did it for free because I was going to be in Alstonville anyway, and I felt like doing something nice.

At 9:30 I went to what I had been told was a 'body balance' class, but which turned out to be a yoga/tai chi/meditation session. The full hippy experience was on offer today! So off I went, to this little place called "Happy Mountain" -yes, the name does give it away, to any clear thinking individual-which I obviously am not. As soon as I step into Happy mountain I am hit in the face with a cloud of incense so strong I almost fall over. I move up the stairs cautiously, pushing my way through the smokey vapours, like tarzan pushing aside vines and what not in the jungle-or so I imagine he would do so. I go past candles and little arrangements that I have no idea are actually legitimate shrines, I just assume that someone ran out of space for buddhas and leaves upstairs... When I get up there, there is the sweetest, most welcoming, light aura omitting hippy woman there to greet me and welcome me into this strange and wonderful place. She's decked out completely, checking all the boxes with her burgandy hair tied loosely underneath a pink and silver scarf, her shoulders draped with a dark shawl, loose yoga pants, bare feet, nose piercing and beautiful smile. She stands at the front of the class, her hands pressed together at her chest, welcoming us into this 'sanctuary of peace and light.' Her voice is like honey; soothing, sweet and calming. She instructs us to bow to our 'inner light.' And so the fun begins.
We do an interesting combination of different stretches, strength excercises and breathing/meditation. It is all very relaxing and peaceful. Except I have to stop myself from laughing a few times. There is this one pose, called "observing the clouds," which looks exactly as it sounds. You stand with your feet wide apart, hands on hips, and turn your shoulders to the side, leaning back as if you're looking at the sky. A whole room full of people doing this looks absolutely ridiculous. Especially when the roof is low.


Another of my favourites is the oh-so-dignified "Himalayan pose," which goes a lil' somethin' like this...
Achieved.
After my enlightening visit to Happy Mountain, I went back up to the shop and put in another 3 hours of decent work. I found myself actually making the food, as well as taking orders and serving coffee. By God I make some mean thai fish cakes. Haha. It was a pretty fun day, and I don't really mind working for free, especially since they were all so nice. I think I am doing it all again tomorrow, with an even earlier start. Plus today I sent out a few more lovely notes in the mail. Oh oh! I almost forgot. Yesterday a lady called me to say I had somehow acquired a free hair, make-up and photo shoot session worth $450 for free as part of some promotion thing I can vaguely remember signing up for online. Unfortunately for me, it happens in Sydney so I couldn't afford to go. But luckily for Kate and Shannyn, who do live in Sydney, they are now participating on my behalf, and I can't wait to see the photos :) All this goodness is making me feel like Jesus, I'll be walking on water next week. Maybe not. At any rate, I'll be able to get away with leaving the trolley in the middle of the car-park at Coles! As for right now, I'm off to eat some peanut butter out of the tub. Peace :)

1 comment:

  1. Char, as soon as I read the first few sentences of this I started pissing myself laughing.

    I am one of those people also.
    Except it is almost always Sam that persuades me to go through the '12 items or less' checkout with...maybe closer to 30 items (all small of course, just to give the illusion that we actually only have 12 on the tiny little counter).

    Hahahaa

    ReplyDelete