Sunday, June 5, 2011

The night before the night after.

I have my first exam as a med student tomorrow, and I have no idea what to expect. Most of the people I have talked to about it have been in tears at least once in the past week. I think I just don't care as much as I should, maybe it's because I know that my entire career isn't riding on the hope that I get top of the class. All you have to do is pass, how hard can it be? I guess we'll find out. Maybe I'll be eating my words next month when the results come out and I have failed miserably. But hopefully not. Haha. I found this quote about medicine as I was procrastinating tonight, and it kind of makes me a little sad, but definitely brings back to earth any lofty thoughts I might have had about being a doctor.

Medicine always claims the experience is the test of its operations. Plato therefore was right in saying that to become a true doctor, a man must have experienced all the illnesses he hopes to cure and all the accidents and circumstances he is to diagnose... Such a man I would trust. For the rest guide us like the person who paints seas, rocks and harbours while sitting at his table and sails his model of a ship in perfect safety. Throw him into the real thing, and he does not know where to begin.

- Montaigne, Essays 3.13

I guess getting dengue fever in Thailand earlier this year will give me a leg-up in the world of tropical diseases. Maybe everything does happen for a reason, haha. Oh wow, look at how philosophical I am getting in my tired stupor. I haven't done any excercise in 2 days and I am going crazy. Think I might get up and run in the morning. The sunrises here are beautiful, it's amazing. You wouldn't think it was winter yet. This morning the sky was purple and pink, and the sun looked like a giant egg yolk. I am liking this place more and more. But I am so unbelievably excited to be heading home in just 7 days. I haven't seen my Mum in 5 months, and my Dad in over a year. Oh hurry up weekend. I even bought a new coat to help me brave the Melbourne weather. I know, more online shopping- it will be the death of my funds. But it was orange so I had to....

No comments:

Post a Comment