Monday, February 7, 2011

Never thought I would cry over a rap song.

But I guess change is in the air. A few days ago, Louis came out of his room to show me a song he had written about me. He had rapped a few lines of it to me in the car the week before (true gangsta style), and he was proud to show me the finished product. I barely got halfway through it, and I was bawling my eyes out. Not so much for the poetic beauty of his language (he has the tendency to 'sample' lyrics from his favourite songs), but because he is aware of so much more than I give him credit for. All the things that I thought he never realised and never cared about were right there on the page, and I will never forget it. Here is some of what he wrote...

(This one is just after I had my teeth out :S)
Dear Sister;
Yeah, my sister had her teeth pulled out,
so I gotta put in and help her out,
try not to get to that point where I make her shout.
She is like my Mum, making me dinner,
playing downball in the sun, we both gettin' thinner.
The day is coming,
the day that I'm dreading,
when she moves out,
now that's gonna make me shout, shout
loud on these papers while I express myself,
before I wreck myself, just writing rhymes for you
you know for you sister.

You make me laugh,
you say 'fuck off' when I fart,
I love you and I'm eternally grateful,
for having you as my sister,
yeah I'm gonna miss ya
when you're gone, I be in mourn
Just in my room, listening to beats
But you watch, we'll prove them wrong Char,
I'll make my own beats, and don't worry;
I'll make my own sheets on my bed.
I gotta get these people outta my head
yeah, and not let them tread on me.
Just give 'em all I got,
Cos yeah it's worth a shot.
Why not?

Growing Up;
Growing up on a farm,
you helped me out by holding me in your arms.
Now I'm sayin' thank you, for everything you have done
and for everything that's yet to come.
It's you that helped me be who I am right now, and
I'll always remember you and those memories just chillin' on the swings with you, Char.
Yeah I mean this, I love you.

The feelings I have for you are true,
and I know I have been rude to you, but listen;
this song is for you.

You have changed me from a boy to a man,
and I thank you for helping me be who I am.
Yeah it's true, thanks to you
I got rid of those voices in my head saying I'm a fail,
guess I don't have to go to jail no more.
When anything is wrong you know it;
I may be as slow as a snail but I'll get there.

I hope I'll be as successful as you,
and not just be a fool like I used to,
I look up to you every day,
I wouldn't be here like this if I didn't have you, hey

Shit. If you know then,
all I'm tryin' to say is I love you
respect you, please don't go
but you have to, I wish you wouldn't and you couldn't
Don't forget to call, cos you know I'm gonna miss ya'
My favourite sister.


Doesn't it just melt your heart? As much as we fight, there is nothing in the world I wouldn't do for him, for anyone in my family. Aw look, now I've gone and got all emotional. Time to peace out before your opinion of me goes out the window. But first, a little challenge; before the day is over, tell someone how much they mean to you, how important they are in your life. Call your family just to say you love them, or tell a friend how amazing they are. Surprise someone by thanking them for something that made a difference in your life, and try to make a difference in theirs. Just make someone smile, I guarantee you'll go to sleep with warmth in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment