Sunday, January 30, 2011

January's Resolutions.

It's almost February, and I have had a whole month to get together my "New Year's" resolutions. This is what I came up with;

Be more daring; I always chicken out of things because the nerd in me hates breaking rules. I always worry too much about every possible consequence of my actions, and so I end up talking myself out of some pretty fun situations. I'm young, I can only afford to make stupid mistakes for a few more years before I'm truly expected to have grown up. So I plan on taking full advantage of that this year. Well, maybe just a little.

Say "yes" more often. This one goes hand in hand with being more daring. But it's a bit milder. Things like going out for dinner with a group of new friends, going out to a new place, or joining a club or something that I am not 100% sold on. It also means that I say yes to hanging out with my family more, going to the skatepark with Louie or going swimming with Mum. Hopefully this is going to get me more involved in, well, life!

Learn to appreciate good wine; The days of drinking goon and juice are (hopefully) far in the past, and I would really like to be more knowledgeable about wines, and be able to taste the difference between certain types. To actually know what I'm drinking. The hard part is actually liking the taste, but I guess that all comes with getting used to the flavour. This will be a work in progress, I think.

Eat less sugar; It's seriously getting out of control. No explanation needed.

Become a kiteboarding expert; Just kidding, I am determined to have a go after I was too sick to do it in Thailand. I had a look at the uni clubs, and they have one for kiteboarding which looks fun. Hopefully they don't expect me to actually know what I'm doing- but it means that I will meet some people who do!

Do at least one fitness event; This will give me a goal I can work towards, and means I am less likely to slack off if I am dedicated to run in an event. Whether it's a 5k, 10k or a marathon (HIGHLY unlikely) just having at least one under my belt will make me feel better and give me something to build on next year :)

Call people rather than texting or facebooking them; This goes without saying, I am overcoming my phobia of talking on the phone, and it's so much better to actually have an old fashioned conversation rather than just wall posts. It means more to both parties anyway.

So I will have to keep you updated throughout the year as I (hopefully) check them off the list. And as for last year's resolutions, how far did I get? I found a list of just 3 resolutions that I had written down around this time a year ago, and it was funny to see how little the act of writing it down actually made me want to achieve them, despite what everyone says. Here they are, resolutions in review;

Get fit; Up until I injured myself in June, I can say that I was almost the most athletic I have ever bee. Running everyday and actually enjoying it. But with all the traveling I have done in the last year, excercise kind of fell by the wayside unless you count all the walking and bike riding we did just to get from A to B.

Get thinner; Over the course of year 12 I beefed up a little bit, as a result of too much food, no excercise and lots of sweets to get me through the essays. I made a conscious effort to be more healthy, and despite putting on weight in America, I have actually done quite well. Right now, I am around 8 kilos lighter than I was this time last year, and a couple more and I'll be stoked. Just have to keep an eye on all those sneaky snacks!

Get fun; I am always in awe of people who seem to just bring fun with them wherever they go. They always look like they're having a great time, always smiling, and have interesting stories. Well, after spending almost 6 months traveling I am never short of stories to tell, and I have made a conscious effort to make the most of everything I do. I try to see the good in every situation, and am finding it easier to laugh about things that go wrong. I don't know how much fun I bring to the table, but I'm enjoying myself more and more.

New year's resolutions are a bit controversial, because everyone feels obliged to make them but never as determined to see them through. That's why making then at the end of January is best, because you don't get caught up in the excitement of the new year and all start flailing resolutions wildly into the breeze. Let's hope my strategy works!

No comments:

Post a Comment