Saturday, August 28, 2010

Home!

I can't even begin to explain how good it is to be home. As much as I loved being away, I really missed my Mum and my family, I missed the ocean and I missed just being somewhere familiar. I feel super bad for not updating my blog while I was away, but I just didn't have enough time at all. I kept a journal though, which I wrote in (almost) every day so I am kind of thinking that I will type up some exerpts from that so that you can get the full experience of what my trip was like. I have heaps of photos to put up, and I bought film for my Holga while I was over there so I am hugely excited to see how they turn out, and I will put them up if they are not complete failures haha. Anyway, I also bought this sweet little handheld video camera, it's HD and waterproof with a shitload of memory space so you should be looking forward to all the videos I am going to post about random things that happen in Ballina. I only started filming stuff on the plane flight from New York to L.A, because the people just asked for it. I was sitting next to this Sri Lankan man who was just so freaking awkward and up himself. Our conversations went like this;
Him: So....um, how did you like New york?
Me: Yeah. It was really great. 
(Please note I was really not in the mood to make small talk, and I was in the middle of watching a movie and kept having to take off my earphones every time he said something.)
Him: Yeah I liked it too, but I was only there for 4 days because I'm on a business trip at the momentand we are traveling all over the world.
Me: Cool. 
Him: Yeah it is, and the best part is that we get it all paid for by the company, I am an executive at Myer. So i get the companies credit card and away we go!
Me: Huh. That sounds alright.
Him: So were are you from?
Me: Australia
Him: Nice, I'm from Sri Lanka. Have you ever been there?
Me: No, but I will one day, my grandpa was from Sri Lanka. 
Him:(looking confused) Oh so, he was born in Australia but lived there?
Me: No, he was born in Sri Lanka and moved to Australia when he was 17.
Him: (So confused that his eyebrows were almost touching his knees.) Your grandfather?
Me: OH MY GOD YOU CAN'T JUST ASK SOMEONE WHY THEY'RE WHITE!
Haha. I wish. In reality, I just said "yep" and put the headphones back on. We still had 4 hours to go. I was not making it even more awkward than it already was. 

There was a lady sitting opposite me too, across the aisle, who was making me laugh so much. She wore this hat the whole way-the whole 6 hours- which was like an acoubra hat, one you would find in the outback on some cowboy. I would not have been surprised if she had had corks swinging from the brim. When we took off and when we landed, she put her head between her knees and put the blanket completely over her whole body so she looked like a giant blue marshmallow. The funniest thing was the fact that it took almost 20 minutes for her to actually get into that position. It made me laugh.

Haha Louis just came running out of the lounge room yelling "Char! Char! You have to see this!" He was so excited and had this massive grin on his face. "What?"I turn around and look at him and he goes "Watch this..." He opens up his mouth really wide, and starts whacking himself on the head with his fist... Oh it is good to be home.

*Apologies also for the lack of images, we are out of internet time so even my tumblr dashboard won't load. Fuuuuu-

No comments:

Post a Comment